Thursday, January 08, 2009

POW-POW-POWder day!

Got out for my first real powder day of the season today. The hills have gotten 2 feet in the last 2 days, and it's still snowing like you wouldn't believe outside. Also, today was the first day of the season that I didn't hit a rock!! My skis are thrilled, I'm sure. So...

I took this first shot at 9:05am from near the top of one of the mountains. Please feel free to note the lack of tracks in front of me. Yes, that's well over a foot of untouched, pristine powder in front of me and all the way down. Oh yea...that was a solid run.

Jan 8 - Beneath Cleavage

The guy in the picutre is Will, whom I met on the chairlift. He's a good guy. Yes, I went down first - didn't want him to track out my powder :p It's a good thing I'm faster than most. Hehehe.

The run goes down into a tree-lined road, almost, that's great fun, and the finally into a creekbed that is more like a ski cross than a ski hill. About 3/4 of the way down, there's a cliff. After hucking it (ie. going over it), I noticed how pretty it was around there, so I took a shot.

Jan 8 - Eagle Creek Cliff

After a few runs, I met up with Dave, who had gotten up very early to go out yesterday and didn't feel like going for first tracks today. We did a few runs and ended up on a glade run. It's a nice, long run with lots of trees on it, but plenty of space to move too so you can get a nice rythym going. Here's 2 shots of that. Starting to get tracked out, but still lots of fresh!

Jan 8 - Dave on Goat Glade

Jan 8  - Goat Glade

Dave and I split up, since he wanted to practise some stuff and I still wanted to chew up some powder, and eventually I stopped for lunch. I took these next shots from the lunch spot. I liked especially the top one, because of the barely-visible rock wall of the mountain in the distance.

Jan 8 - Silver City

Jan 8 - Sunshine Coast

After lunch, I was very pleased to discover that not only was Freefall open, but that it was mostly free of rocks!! Freefall is a near top-to-bottom, straight run that just keeps getting steeper until you're almost at the bottom. Was the first double-black of the year for me and I took this shot from just before the steepest part because I thought it was a pretty good shot of just how steep (and hence, awesome) it gets!

Jan 8  - Freefall

Not many people had gone on that yet, so the snow was a little tracked, but still nice and loose and awesome to ski through. Did laps of that until my legs gave out, which left the ski out. I took the alternate route to the parking lot and stopped for a break and grabbed this last shot.

Jan 8 - Middle Canyon

So, solid and beautiful day of skiing out there for sure. Best of the season yet!


We're slowly but surely getting everybody's addresses together for our wedding invitiations, which we should be starting to make up next week (if Canada Post ever gets its act together). Very exciting. Music lessons start back up this week too, and those are always fun. Guess that means the holidays are over and it's time to get back to the grind.

Until next time!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What gorgeous pics!!! Wow, want to be there. Getting very sick of this sitting around re-couping. Boring! Can't even drive Hummie. Thanks to Bonnie for putting up with me the other night when she called. Love you both.
mamma deb

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home